Friday, March 11, 2011

Learning about Edmonton

It's been really interesting learning some of Edmonton's history that I had never ever heard of before. Seriously, I knew nothing, and had fallen into the trap of thinking Edmonton was only 100 years young. But the past two weeks, and especially the poems, have made me think of Edmonton as olllldddd. And made me wanna know more. Instead of just wikipedia-ing (Jarrod :P), I tried to find some books through the uni's library databases, and the first twenty(!) things that came up when I typed "Edmonton" into the NEOS search engine were: fatality reports for Alberta Employment and Immigration. Ummm...not quite what I was looking for. Creepy and weird. So I changed my search to "Edmonton History" and the first hit was Polish (lol awesome) and the second was about great cities of Christendom from 1500-1600, and the third was about New Brunswick. What? Where is my Edmonton history? I'm not even wikipedia-ing! Ok, after the tenth hit it got better. Here are some of the interesting and relevant books for those of you too lazy to look:
 
Reichwein, Baldwin P.
 


Edmonton Horticultural Society.
Turner, Toscha Lorene.
Phillips, Jim, 1954-
Monto, Tom, 1961-
University of Alberta. Learning Services.
Boddy, Trevor, 1953-
Brignall, Richard.
Orrell, John, 1934-
Jenkins, McKay, 1963-
Edmonton Trades and Labour Council.
Cunningham, Pamela Marie.
Goyette, Linda, 1955-
Coutu, Phillip R., 1953-
 
And of course there are more, though not all (even on this list) are available at UofA and will need to be requested from other places. I will be checking some of these out!
 

2 comments:

  1. Start with Tony Cashman and Linda Goyette, IMO: both very readable. And you might consult the APIRG CSLers, who are compiling a database on Edmonton materials, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thanks. :-) I want to read more of Cashman's work after the semester is over and I have more time on my hands. The book on Fort Edmonton cemetery also looks way cool.

    If anyone is interested in the history of the U of A, I recommend Ellen Schoeck's I Was There: A Century of Alumni Stories about the University of Alberta, 1906-2006. Its size is intimidating, but, really, it's a fun read! You can get through NEOS as well.

    ReplyDelete