Thursday, January 27, 2011

Map time

I've been thinking about Edmonton maps, and wondering why there weren't awesome maps like we looked at in class for our city, when I realized there are very few maps that I've ever looked at for Edmonton, since I live here. Then I realized that when I need to go somewhere in the city I either look at a) the lrt "map" b)a bus route "map" or c) google maps. So I'd like to talk about these maps and how they affect my life.

Well mostly I just want to talk about the lrt map, which is located in the actual train itself and at the stations on the walls; it's sooo silly. For those who don't know, it's a perfectly straight line representing the trajectory the train follows, with blue dots for the stations which are labelled. Um...that's it. There are good and bad things about its simplicity. It's easy to read, I suppose, and tells you basically how many stops til yours and the order of the stations, but it leaves out so much. The line it follows certainly isn't straight, it gives a very inaccurate depiction of distance between stops and it gives you no indication as to where you'll be coming out above ground (except for obviously named stations like "University"). It's really very little help, which is scary and interesting. How would non-Edmontonians read this map?

3 comments:

  1. Interesting that you would mention the simplified LRT map - in one of my early posts (http://journaledmonton.blogspot.com/2011/01/x-marks-spot.html) I mentioned my own false conception of the LRT as being a straight line, but I had forgotten about the LRT "map" as being a contributing factor to that illusion. I've often wondered how out-of-towners would manage to navigate our LRT system, between a general lack of comprehensible signage in the actual stations, and the continual glitches with the on-train announcements. I generally laugh when I'm pulling into the University station and the intercom announces "next stop, Churchill station," but it wouldn't be so funny if I didn't know where I actually was...
    I think you're right, more could be done with the LRT map to make the system more accessible to those who don't use transit regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would a more comprehensive (? - creative? - informative?) Edmonton LRT map look like?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely know where you're coming from. I get so disoriented when I LRT anywhere (I rarely do). Underground, I completely lose my bearings, and the straight-line "map" doesn't cut it for me, especially when so many of the stations start with "c" - Churchill, Century Park, Central, Coliseum... I get so confused! The only times I've successfully taken the LRT to my planned destination has been when I'm following a group of people who know where they're going already. So even for an Edmontonian, and I think the LRT map needs work.

    ReplyDelete