Thursday, January 20, 2011

My Edmonton

Hi everyone :) Edmonton, to me, has always been "the city." As a kid, from ages 5 to 8, I lived in Griesbach, which was an area where military families lived and there was even a K-12 school. It was recently converted into a nice little civilian neighbourhood, but my old house is still there. Edmonton is the first city I remember moving to; before then I had moved around a lot but didn't really remember it. When I was 8 we moved to a new subdivision, Skyview, which is not far from Griesbach and everything around there was just developing then (right off 137 ave, near North ed Cineplex).

Then six months later I moved to Wainwright, which is quite a small town two hours south of here. This turned Edmonton into "the city" I think, since it was pretty much the closest big city, and people from Wainwright would go there for shopping, WEM, etc. I mostly remember coming back to go to Ikea lol. Then when I was twelve my family moved to St. Albert. This didn't really change my perception of Edmonton as "the city" because for most of my teen years I didn't really leave St. Albert that much. Edmonton, however, was where I went anytime I had a concert, ballet, play, opera or festival to go to with family or friends. My high school choir often performed in Edmonton. So music is really tied to Edmonton's identity for me.

As for my limits within Edmonton, I've always stayed mostly on the North end. Griesbach, Skyview, St. Albert and Clareview (where I currently live) are all here, and I pretty much never go South. Since being in university I've also inhabited Whyte, Jasper and downtown a lot more, and since I learned to drive (about a year and a half ago...lol) that has also really expanded my movements in and around and even out of Edmonton. I hope this class helps me to really get to know and own Edmonton.

1 comment:

  1. You mentioned the areas that you considered to be your limits of Edmonton before University, namely Griesbach and Skyview. I find this a little funny, as I have never even heard of these neighborhoods (no offense!. Though the north end isn't really a part of my realm, I at least thought I had heard of all of the neighborhoods in the city! It kinda shakes my perception of Edmonton as a small city when I realize how much I don't know about it!

    ReplyDelete